On Wednesday, August 17, 2022, Mr Julius Haruna, Assistant Director and Head, FCCPC North-West Zonal Office, Katsina died in the Commission’s office in Katsina.
Although investigations are at early and inconclusive stages, information known suggests that he was involved in a dispute which escalated to, and included physical contact with Ms. Muibat Taiwo Abdusalam, another employee of the Commission. The Katsina State Police Command is currently seized with, and continuing investigations. The deceased is currently deposited in the morgue of Katsina General Hospital and awaiting an autopsy. Ms. Abdusalam is currently detained by the state Police Command.
On Thursday 18, 2022; the Commission visited the deceased’s family in Kafanchan, Kaduna State, and is continuing to provide support to the family. In addition, the Commission has been in communication with the family of the detained Ms. Abdusalam with respect to answering their questions and providing any legitimate and applicable support in the circumstances. The Commission is also assisting and supporting the Police investigation of the sad occurrence.
There are current, and indeed a record of past cross allegations of conflict and abuse/aggression by the deceased and Ms. Abdulsalam; which current claims include an assertion of insufficient remedial action by the management of the Commission.
In response to this sad incident, and events leading thereto, the Governing Board of the Commission held an emergency Board meeting yesterday, August 22, 2022. The Board meeting decided by resolutions:
1. To immediately and forthwith institute an independent internal investigation, to conclude within 21 working days or any extensions granted by the Board;
2. Appointed Dr. Ben Nwoye (Legal practitioner and non-executive Commissioner/Board member) as Chair of the Independent Internal Investigation Panel (Panel); and Air Vice Marshal Wakili Abdullahi Ahmed (Rtd), (also a non-executive Commissioner/ Board member) as Co-Chair of the Panel;
3. To invite representatives of the Federal Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment and Office of the Head of Service of the Federation as members of the Panel;
4. Directed Executive Management of the Commission to immediately engage an experienced and independent legal counsel as member, guide and support to the Panel;
5. Immediately but temporarily relieve relevant leadership and operatives within the Commission in order to ensure a fair, transparent and credible investigation.
Although there have been some news coverage of this painful incident, none of the speculations therein are fully verified or sufficiently established as valid evidence.
The Commission will continue to make appropriate, full, and frank disclosures of information, any investigative outcomes and or judicial processes (where applicable).
The Commission notwithstanding continues to discharge its mandate including across the North-West of Nigeria.
Once again, the Governing Board of the Commission extends its deepest condolence to the family and friends, as well as co-workers/colleagues of the late Mr. Julius Haruna.
Director Legal Services/Secretary to the Board
See document… >> click here